Latest Guidance on Public Health Measures
Published: 24 March 2020
From: Department of the Taoiseach
The National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) has recommended that all non-essential retail outlets close to members of the public. All other retail outlets are to implement social distancing.
All schools, pre-schools and further and higher education settings will remain closed to students until 19 April 2020.
Cafés and restaurants are limited to takeaways and deliveries only. All sporting events are cancelled – including those behind closed doors.
All theatres, clubs, gyms, leisure centres and hair salons are to be shut.
Places of worship are to restrict numbers visiting and no unnecessary travel should take place in the country or overseas, now or during the Easter break.
The Taoiseach said people need to stay at home and only leave to:
- go to work
- go to the shops for essential supplies
- care for others
Essential retail outlets
The following is an indicative list of what are considered essential retail outlets:
- retail and wholesale sale of food, beverages and newspapers in non-specialised and specialised stores
- retail sale of household consumer products necessary to maintain the safety and sanitation of residences and businesses
- pharmacies/chemists and retailers providing pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical or dispensing services
- retail sale of medical and orthopaedic goods in specialised stores
- fuel stations and heating fuel providers
- retailers involved in the repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycle repair and related facilities (for example, tyre sales and repairs)
- retail sale of essential items for the health and welfare of animals, including animal feed and medicines, animal food, pet food and animal supplies including bedding
- laundries and drycleaners
- banks, post offices and credit unions
- retail sale of safety supply stores (for example, work clothes, Personal Protective Equipment)
- hardware stores, builders’ merchants and stores that provide hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment, supplies and tools essential for gardening/farming/agriculture
- retail sale of office products and services for individuals working from home and for businesses
- retailers providing electrical, IT and phone sales, repair and maintenance services for home