Mount Congreve Receives €3.7m in Funding
Some great news for Mount Congreve Gardens as Minister Ring announces €62 million in Government funding for 26 Rural Regeneration and Development projects across the country. Mount Congreve in Waterford is to receive just over €3.7 million to develop the house and gardens.
The objective of the works is to develop Mount Congreve House and Gardens into a world-class visitor experience. The development will consist of:
- Renovation and upgrade of Mount Congreve House to provide for access by the public, host events, visitor accommodation and offices. Works will include installation of a lift, universal access, toilets, kitchen, fire safety improvements and installation of a bio-energy heating system.
- Development of the farmyard to incorporate a café; offices, meeting facilities, craft yard; children’s play area and a retail unit.
- Other works will include the development of a car park, wastewater treatment facility, creation of a wetland garden, upgrade of the existing greenhouse, upgrade of apartments and cottages to provide high-quality tourist accommodation, enhancements to the grounds and paths and development of a children’s playground.
- Improvements to sightlines on the L4411 by setting back the estate wall at the entrance just west of the main entrance into the House and Gardens. The second entrance will be used for traffic entering the gardens and the existing main entrance will be used for traffic exiting the gardens.
- Total proposal cost is €4,968,000
It’s an exciting time for Mount Congreve and these upgrades will defiantly make the gardens more attractive to visitors.