Soft Plastics Can Now be Recycled; We all know that recycling reduces the need for extracting (mining, quarrying and logging), refining and processing raw materials all of which create substantial air and water pollution. As recycling saves energy it also reduces greenhouse gas emissions, which helps to tackle climate change.
In Ireland we collect all recyclables in the same bin and the sorting of all these materials take place at a recycling facility.
Sadly here in Ireland we could never recycle soft plastics like packaging, plastic bags or bubble wrap in our green bins but all that is changing. We can now place all plastic packaging, including soft plastics, into our home recycling bins as long as they are clean, dry and loose.
Thankfully because of new technology and new partnerships we have a brilliant new possibility here in Ireland to protect the environment.
So what are the items that can now be recycled?
Soft plastic items CLEAN DRY AND LOOSE:
- Bread wrappers
- Fruit/veg and salad wraps and bags
- Kitchen/ toilet roll outer wrap
- Breakfast cereal bags
- Plastic shopping/carrier bags
- Dried fruit/seed and nut bags
- Frozen food bags
- Pasta/rice/noodle bags
- Cheese packs outer wrap
- Baked goods/Confectionary outer wrappers
- Crisp/cracker wrappers
- Bubble wrap
- Electrical item/white goods/appliances bags/wrap
- Mattress / pillow wrap
- Wet wipes outer wrap
- Detergent/dishwasher bags
- Garden compost / bark bags
Rigid plastic items CLEAN, DRY AND LOOSE. Please continue to Recycle.
- All pots, tubs and trays
- Water/juice Bottles
- Milk/cream Bottles
- Sauce/dressing Bottles
- Meat / veg / bread trays
- Butter/margarine / ice-cream tubs
- Yogurt pots
- Salad/fruit bowls
- Chocolate/biscuit trays
- Bottle/jar lids
- Take-away plastic containers
- Shampoo / liquid soap and gel bottles
- Make-up/toiletry tubs and mouth wash bottles
- Detergent/household cleaning bottles
- Plastic plant pots
We would ask everyone to keep recycling and as we all do our bit we can all make a difference.
For more information on recycling and to find a recycling centre near you visit REPAK.