Waterford PPN Awards Short List Announced
Waterford Public Participation Network (PPN) is a network of more than 600 community, voluntary, social inclusion and environmental organisations in the Waterford City & County area.
What is the aim of PPNs?
A PPN is a formal network that allows local authorities to connect with community groups around the country.
The three main community groups are –
- Voluntary groups working in our communities, like sports clubs, cultural societies, Meals on Wheels or Tidy Towns
- Local organisations formed to protect the environment, like An Taisce or Birdwatch Ireland
- groups representing people who are socially excluded and whose voices are not heard in our society, such as people with disabilities, migrants or Travellers
PPNs give citizens a greater say in local government decisions that affect their own communities. Our democracy is strengthened, by allowing diverse views and interests to be considered as part of the decision making process of local Government. The result is more transparent, better informed and improved decisions. For more information see Waterford PPN.
Adjudication and short listing has been completed for the 2019 Waterford PPN Community & Voluntary Awards. We had a huge response to this years awards.
The awards will be presented at the Gala ceremony on November 21st in The Park Hotel, Dungarvan presented on the night by WLRs Oliver Carroll and Mary O’ Neill.
The shortlisted groups for each of the category awards are (in no particular order)
Arts & Culture – Sponsored by BHP Insurance
• Klub Muzik
• Mc Grath Clan Association
• Waterford City Massed Band
Community & Civic Pride – Sponsored by Local Link Waterford
• Foróige Blackwater Valley
• High Road Ballyduff Community Alert
• Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
Community/Social Enterprise – Sponsored by Waterford Local Enterprise Office
• Solas Cancer Support Centre
• Tallow Landscaping Tidy Towns & Community Council
• The Shona Project
Environment – Sponsored by Waterford City & County Council
• Comeragh Community Development Group
• Dunhill Tourism Walking Trail
• Tramore Eco Group
Healthy & Active Community – Sponsored by CareChoice
• Dungarvan Boxing Club
• St. Pauls Scout Group
• Waterford Nature Parkrun
Social Inclusion – Sponsored by Expressway
• Déise Womens Shed
• Surprise Surprise Dungarvan
• The Irish Pilgrimage Trust
Billy Mc Carthy Award Nominations – Sponsored by WLR
• Ann Cheasty – Tramore
• Eddie Moore – Abbeyside
• Eleanor Halley – Dunmore East
• Mary Bagge – Portlaw
• Margaret Whelan – Kilmacthomas
• Maria Condon – Waterford